Ricardo was born and raised in the heart of North Charleston, South Carolina, and overcame academic obstacles to graduate from Septima P. Clark Academy in 2002. He is currently completing his Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice.
In 2005, Ricardo began working at Palmetto Behavioral Health in Summerville, where he developed his passion to work with at-risk youth. In 2007, he became a Police Officer for the City of Hanahan, and later became a School Resource Officer for Hanahan Middle School, where the true intent of his life’s purpose was revealed.
As a result, in 2010, Ricardo, started The Distinguished Gentlemen’s Club, a program with a mission to guide young men in grades 3-12 through the often challenging transitions from childhood to manhood through intentional mentoring. The aim of the Club was to raise servant leaders in the community through character building, promoting positive relationships, and establishing effective goal setting practices.
Ricardo’s honors include:
- Police Officer of the Year for the City of Hanahan in 2011
- School Resource Officer of the year for the State of South Carolina in 2011
- Award of Merits – Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #3 in 2011
- The Distinguished Gentlemen’s Club received several grant awards from Senator Marlon Kimpson and has been recognized by Senator Tim Scott.
- Recognition by The Omega Psi Phi Fraternity for service to youth development in 2016.
- Officer Gregory Alia, Heroes In Blue Award in 2017
- The Exemplary Servant Leadership Award- Lowcountry Youth Services in 2019
- Author of “A Gift Worth Fighting For”
With the support of his devoted wife, Kristen, beloved children Symone, Ricardo Jr., and little brother, Amonte, Ricardo continues to press forward with the mission of expanding and extending opportunities to reach the next generation of servant leaders. In his leisure time, Ricardo enjoys watching good movies, sitting by the water’s edge, and spending quality time with his family.
Ricardo, firmly believes that his life is not his own and that all he does is in service to his God. and lives by the words of his risen Lord, “I am here, not to be serve but to serve others.”